des femmes

des femmes, defamed...

Tomorrow becomes never

For months I've been thinking about updating this blog. I'll get to it as soon as I finish this, and then this, and then this other thing. But...

The blogs that used to irritate me so much--I can't stand to read them any more. Ignorant little twerps, pompous blowhards, shills. Lost causes, and their cause isn't mine. They--and of course I'm speaking in general--want to be the ones on top, and we women get to remain on the bottom.

Here's this comment from the charming Orcinus:

"Well, that didn't take long. I figured it was only a matter of time before the conservative facade of civility crumbled, but this time it came off faster than the pancake on a ten-dollar hooker."

Teresa Nielsen Hayden wrote a beautiful summary of postelection reaction:

"You know what's really happening? They're seeing our reactions, and they're scared. It's like that moment where someone tells you what they've done, and it's disastrously wrong, a complete catastrophe; only they haven't understood that until now, when they see you stagger and turn pale at the news. And as you're standing there steadying yourself, feeling your heart pounding and a terrible weight descending on your shoulders ... you realize that the other person is preemptively yelling at you. They still don't quite know what's happened, but they can tell they've screwed up big time, so they're screaming that they certainly hope you aren't going to pretend that this could somehow have been their fault, because ..."

But then in the comments she said,

"To have voted for Nader in 2000 required only error. To have done so in 2004 required that one vote for someone one knew was a shamelessly manipulative and irresponsible liar. I respect democracy, and I respect the voting process. I just don't respect that choice. I'll also defend to the death your or anyone else's continuing right to make stupid choices -- which, as Groucho Marx once said to a blonde, is more than you've been doing lately."

A blonde. Now what is "blonde" shorthand for, I wonder?

If this ugliness directed at me is the best I can hope for from the supposedly liberal side, I don't want anything to do with it. I can be insulted without having to go out and look for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home